– Aurelia publishes the work of marginalised genders: women, non-binary people and trans men.
– Please send a pitch outlining your ideas. If accepted, we will give you a deadline for your first draft, and help you structure and edit your piece. We will work with you closely right up until the piece is complete – if the piece is sensitive, you’ll have the opportunity to read our final draft back before it’s published.
– In the body of your e-mail, please include your name and location, along with a short biography and any social media links for your potential Author bio. Please include examples of your previous work.
– The things you think and the way you feel must be at the centre of your piece. All article submissions MUST be written in the first-person (“I think, I feel, I want…)! Aurelia is a publication dedicated to personal thoughts, feelings and experiences.
– Aurelia’s categories are: Love Stories (essays about any kind of love, loss, lessons learnt, relationships that shaped you, etc), Opinion, Identity, Culture, Sex & Body and Features. Please familiarise yourself with them to get a feel of what they each entail.
– For the subject line of your submission, please name the category that your piece belongs to, along with the theme(s) of your piece if you don’t yet have a title.
– As a general rule you should aim for between 700-850 words for a first draft so there is enough room for edits and it’s concise. The maximum word-count for finished pieces is 1,200 words.
– Due to the volume of submissions we receive, we can’t get back to everyone – although we do try. If your piece is the right fit for Aurelia, you will hear back within 14 days. If your piece is time sensitive, please make sure to include this in your pitch title.
– Aurelia publishes articles that have been written specifically for our magazine. We do not publish articles that appear elsewhere on the Internet, or in print. Please refrain from pitching us ideas that you’re currently pitching elsewhere.
– Aurelia is a volunteer-led publication, something we are desperately trying to change. So for now, we are unable to offer payment. Please only pitch if you have the capacity to take this on. Thank you!
INTERVIEWS AND FEATURES:
– If you are a writer that would like to conduct an interview or feature of somebody for Aurelia, please provide us with a short bio of both yourself and your interviewee, and attach 3-5 relevant images for the article in the body of your email. The subject of your email should include ‘Interview’ and the name/job title/business you plan to feature. For example: ‘Interview: (Insert Name), Founder of XYZ’
– Aurelia welcomes interviews and features conducted by and featuring marginalised genders.
– If you are somebody that would like to be interviewed or featured by Aurelia, please get in touch by emailing us. Please specify this in the subject line of your email, followed by your name/job title/business etc. For example: ‘Potential Interview/Feature: (Insert Name), Visual Artist’